Just one week into the cup and we have had a sad death which is now suspected as murder, a top team out of the competition, a much hyped “cup contender” being taken down by a so called “minnow”, a former captain being suspended from the team and stripped of his vice-captaincy after being rescued from the sea, six sixes hit in an over – I think I can keep going on, but here is today’s cricket news in brief –
- Police in Jamaica are now treating Bob Woolmer’s death as suspicious. Saad Shafqat in the Dawn writes – “We have blood on our hands“, while Sarfraz Nawaz thinks Woolmer was killed by the sub-continent’s betting mafia. I think there is no need to jump into any conclusions before the police complete their investigation.
- SL take on Bangladesh today. Hindu reports that Sri Lanka is worried over former coach Dav Whatmore, who is now in Bangladesh’s camp.
- India is already looking forward to the game against Sri Lanka. John Wright thinks that Karthik may come into the team for Robin Uthappa, and Kumble will get the nod ahead of Harbajan. The team composition has been discussed at length in this site( article 1, article 2)
- New Zealand beat Kenya by 148 runs, while South Africa beat Scotland in the other match.
- The best Indian cricketer and the best international player of the tournament are going to be presented with diamond studded cricket balls. Only in India…