By this time tomorrow, Greg Chappell would have handed over his report to BCCI and would have tabled all his thoughts on the current team and the reason for the World cup debacle. If the media is to be believed, this is what he would have written in his report-
- Seniors in the team form a coterie (or “mafia” if you please). This coterie has a strong influence on the captain, Rahul Dravid
- The seniors (Tendulkar, Ganguly, Sehwag, Kumble, Laxman, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Yuvraj Singh, Agarkar) do not let youngsters flourish
- They lack commitment and generally do not do what they are instructed to do.
- They put personal interest over teams interest.
- The coterie persuaded Rahul Dravid to choose batting if India won the toss against Bangladesh (against the coach’s advice). This is just one of several instances where the coach’s advice was ignored.
Raj Singh Dungarpur has also said that the manager Sanjay Jagdale’s report will be completely unbiased and the board will give more importance to it.
I have three questions –
- What is BCCI going to do with these reports?
- If the reports say that the players have attitude problems, what are they going to do about it? (Drop, discipline, or do nothing)
- Is BCCI going to make these reports public?
Guess we’ll find out soon.