The teams for the ODIs and Tests against Banglaesh has been announced by the selectors today.
ODI squad: Gautam Gambhir, Robin Uthappa, Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid (capt), Yuvraj Singh, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), Dinesh Karthik, Manoj Tiwary, Dinesh Mongia, Piyush Chawla, Sreesanth, Munaf Patel, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh.
Test squad: Wasim Jaffer, Dinesh Karthik, Rahul Dravid (capt), VVS Laxman, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Yuvraj Singh, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), Anil Kumble, Sreesanth, Zaheer Khan, VRV Singh, Ramesh Powar, Rajesh Pawar, Munaf Patel.
There are a few eye-raisers and a few good moves, in my view.
- Bringing Dinesh Mongia and Manoj Tiwary in for the ODIs.
- Dropping Virender Sehwag from the Test team.
- Dropping Harbhajan Singh and Ajit Agrakar from both Tests and ODIs.
- Dropping Irfan Pathan from both forms of the games.
- Three spinners in the Test Squad
- The biggest eye-raiser is the dropping of Tendulkar from the ODIs. They have ‘spun’ it as “resting”, but I don’t, for one, believe it. He is playing with fire in the Twenty20 tournament and this dropping sends a silly message, especially when Virender Sehwag has been taken.
- Retaining Ganguly for the Test squad rather than the ODIs.
- Not including Ramesh Powar in the ODI squad ahead of Piyush Chawla in the ODIs.
- No specialist opener for the Tests apart from Wasim Jaffer. This is a retrograde move. They are using Dinesh Karthik as opener. Although he opened in South Africa, this is not a great move. I have a feeling that Gautam Gambhir’s name was wrongly included in the ODIs instead of the Test team!
Overall this is an averrage effort.