The Optimist is having a hangover after the celebrations last night, so here is a report from the Pessimst on how South Africa lost the match and India did not win it.
- India was lucky to win a second toss in a row and bowl first on a wicket that eased up later in the innings.
- Kallis made the mistake of playing the rusty Steyn in this crucial match. Definitely Philander, Langevelt or the spinner Tshabalala would have been a better choice.
- South Africa had the worst possible day in the field in a long long time. How many catches went down. How many run out chances missed. How many fumbles in the field.
- JP Duminy was out LBW to a ball pitched outside the leg stump. Aleem Dar also had a horrible day.
- Yuvraj Singh again alternated between scratchy batting and good shots. Any of his scratches could have got him out.
- Dravid after 15 years of experience forgot to ground his bat and got himself run out. Shows how Indian batsmen are still not sound on their fundamentals.
- Kallis also erred in not bringing himself on earlier when the Indians were struggling. He should have kept Ntini for the end.
- In the final result South Africa managed to lose a match that they really should have won.