Matt Prior was having a field day sledging the Indians in the recently concluded 1st Test. He continually chirped “Dhoni won’t have played that shot mate” when Karthik was batting. He clearly got to Karthik who reacted by complaining to the umpire. Karthik was subsequently calmed down by Ganguly. Prior then kept up with “Yuvraj is batting excellently in the nets mate” when Dhoni was out there in the middle. Clever.
Michael Vaughan wasn’t far behind either. He gave Sourav Ganguly a serve after Ganguly turned down an easy run on the penultimate ball of Day-4. He also gave Sree Santh the verbals for taking his time to get to the crease.
Indeed, many of the England players kept a constant chirp going against the Indians. Fair enough. I don’t particularly like it, but recognise that it is a part of the modern game. Everyone does it. It is just a question of who does it well and who to.
It also has the opposite effect on some players. Buchanan in his pre-tour notes would often ask Australian players not to sledge Dravid and Tendulkar because it toughened their resolve even more. Miandad is said to have engaged the fielding team in banter and would use that to pep himself up.
But it is all part of the modern game.
So, in a bid to assist Team India, what should the Indians be saying when they are out there?
Here are a few sledges that I could think of. Please add to this list. We can then provide a compilation for the team to use!
To Kevin Pietersen:
- Heard you are totally fatigued mate.
- Got over the brain fatigue you were talking of?
- Want to take another holiday in the South of France to recover from your fatigue?
- Still having problems with bouncers these days?
- Are you really committed to England or would you rather be playing for South Africa?
- But for the reservation system, you’d be playing for South Africa won’t you? Why play in such miserable weather all year round?
To Michael Vaughan:
- You did use the term “Fredalo” in The Guardian interview did you not?
- Flintoff was a better captain than you mate. If only he wasn’t injured, he’d be captaining the side. You know that don’t you?
- Flintoff’s knee is getting better. He’ll be back in the side soon.
- You are in the team only because you can bowl when bad light threatens to halt play… and even that is crap.
To Matt Prior:
- Even Geriant Jones won’t have dropped as many catches as you did mate.
- If you could ‘keep as well as you can talk, you’d have been in the team before Geriant Jones.
- You need a hair cut or a real job!