The Pessimist was approached for his comments on the eve of the 1st Test against Pakistan to begin at the Kotla tomorrow. Here are his early warnings.
- India play under a new captain and it will not be easy for everyone to adjust.
- The openers are under a lot of pressure to perform. For instance Karthik has not done well in the two early Ranji games he played. Jaffer is suspect with his slow footwork and Shoaib Akthar will test that out.
- The middle order though strong on paper has not set the world alight in recent times.
- The fast bowling department with a suspicious Munaf Patel is not very encouraging.
- Harbhajan comes back after his ODI performances but can he get wickets again at the test match level?
- This is an ageing side and the fielding will be tested thoroughly. Watch out for a few drops in slips early on, some desperate dives to prevent boundaries and some lethargic running between the wickets.
- Finally the team will miss the enthusiasm and bubble of youth.
The Optimist when asked declined to give a comment.