It is early days in the DLF-IPL innaugural tournament. However, I figured there were some interesting observations that I could share. Here goes..
1. Deccan Chargers must be seriously contemplating on their million dollar investment, Mr. Andrew Symonds. He has been pretty ordinary in the two games so far.
2. The owners of Mumbai Indians would seriously hope and pray that they are the most expensive franchise for a very strong reason, Sachin Tendulkar. He did not play in the first outing and seems unlikely to figure in tomorrow’s game against the Chennai supermacchis. Their bowling lineup has more of a kanga league look and less of an international offering.
3. Mike Hussey surely has strong reasons to feel disappointed for being cheaper than his brother, his innings against Punjab was truly special and very professional. Assuming he will be auctioned again next year, his stakes will a lot higher.
4. In general, the big money winners have not recorded anything out of the ordinary yet barring possibly McCullum and Ishant Sharma. On the contrary, some of the icons have been more of an embarrassment to their respective teams. Captains of Royal Challengers and Deccan Chargers come to mind.
5. Delhi Daredevils certainly look like the team to beat. It seems they do not require more than three batsmen in the side, the first three seem to finish off totals. It is a fantastic outfit and I was way out of mark when I predicted early that they would make it to the last four.
6. I am quite impressed with a few of the youngsters. Suresh Raina and Rohit Sharma certainly have a bright and guaranteed future ahead. Rajat Bhatia, Siddharth Trivedi, Pazhani Amarnath, Shikar Dhiwan, Virat Kohli, and Badrinath are quite exciting to watch.
7. As I said it is early days, but the fun has certainly begun. Fortunately, thanks to a repeat telecast in addition to the live broadcast here I am able to watch all the games in total when I get home from work.