The team for the NZ ODI series has been announced. Dhoni wanted a break and has been given. Afterall Dhoni is in a position to ask and getting anything he wants from the BCCI. Given the current state of the game at Nagpur, a win only confirms this more than anything else. Zaheer, Harbhajan and Sachin have also been rested. Gambhir has been named the captain out of seniority. Raina had led the side in Zimbabwe but with Yuvraj and the likes in the team Gambhir’s appointment makes sense. Coming to the team, most of it is along expected lines except for the following.
1. Saurabh Tiwary – He is being picked in the squad consistently but has not a got a game. We had already indicated that his selection is based only on the IPL. His Ranji performances are nothing to write home about. That too after playing for Jharkhand in the Plate division which supposed to be easier!
2. Wriddhiman Saha – After repeated failures from Dinesh Karthik it is good that the selectors are finally looking at someone else. But should it be Saha? Has he done enough to get a place in the ODI squad. Given that the selectors are picking people based on the IPL, Naman Ojha could have been a better choice. The Cricinfo correspondent however thinks Saha “is fresh from a century against Assam in the Ranji Trophy Super League.”
3. Munaf Patel – He keeps coming back into the Indian team on a regular basis without any real great performances to speak about. I would have like Abhimanyu Mithun, Sudip Tyagi or even Bhuvaneswar Kumar to get a look in.
4. Sreesanth – Now his Test performance has got him a place in the ODI team? But no place for Ishanth Sharma, Jaidev Unadkat or Umesh Yadav? I think it is a big risk playing Sreesanth in a one day side. BTW can someone tell me why Nehra is not in the team?
5. Yusuf Pathan – He gets another chance. I would rather have a batsman like Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, or Badrinath in the team.
Squad for first two ODIs v New Zealand: Gautam Gambhir (capt), M Vijay, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Saurabh Tiwary, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), R Ashwin, Praveen Kumar, R Vinay Kumar, Munaf Patel, Sreesanth, Yusuf Pathan, Ravindra Jadeja.
Your comments are most welcome.